"When I see 'We value your privacy!' on websites, I picture people in suits, laying in wait with dollar signs rolling in their eyes, as they greedily paw through your information and literally put a 'value' on it, before rushing along to some deep-dark data-marketplace, to do some kind of murky deal with some other big data organisation or government body. In that respect, I want you to know that I don't 'value' your privacy, at least, not in that way! Rather, I will do everything I can to 'protect' your personal data from such people, and to use any information you provide for your own personal benefit, so you can focus on doing a great job home educating your children, without worrying about who's trying to peep through your letterbox!"
Leigh Cook, HEdzUp Creator
And now, in an attempt to put that down in a format that addresses the requirements of the general data protection regulations, here's the detail:
- What data do we collect?
- How do we collect your data?
- How will we use your data?
- How do we store your data?
- What are your data protection rights?
- What are cookies?
- What types of cookies do we use?
- How to manage your cookies
- Privacy policies of other websites
- How to contact us
What data do we collect?
HEdzUp.net collects the following data:
- Personal identification information
- home address
- email address
- phone numbers
- education priorities for your children
- children's names
- children's date of birth
- your IP address when using the website
- Other information
- member passwords (in a military-grade encrypted format that prevents deciphering, so if you forget your password you will need to create a new one instead, because no-one could decipher them, even if they saw the whole database and encryption algorithm!)
- date you joined our network
- date you confirmed your email address
- type of device you use to access the website
- pages viewed, with date and time
- your reasons for home educating
- when children started home education
- children's preferred group sizes for activities
- children's ability level in different subjects
- willingness to support and guide new home educators and those considering home education
- events you book into via the website
- events, tutoring services or other resources you promote via the website
- posts you make on any discussion boards
- badges you earn through engagement with this network
- relationship level settings you have set towards other members
- what data you have chosen to show to members at the various relationship levels
- purchase, exchange and encashment of barter tokens via the website
How do we collect your data?
You directly provide HEdzUp.net with all the data we collect. We collect data and process data when you:
- Join HEdzUp online.
- Register your details and preferences.
- Submit a profile photo.
- Send messages via the website form.
- Send us email directly.
- Use or view our website via your browser's cookies.
- Post comments on any discussion board.
- Order any products or services.
- Interact with other network members through the website.
How will we use your data?
HEdzUp.net collects your data so that we can:
- Manage your account settings.
- Help you network with home educators close to you.
- Invite you to events that are best suited to your interests, expressed needs and group sizes within your chosen maximum travel distance.
- Inform event hosts of any event that you have booked into via the website
- Inform other network members about events you offer to host and any tutoring services or resources you wish to offer.
- Show you a clear record of your barter token transaction history
- Display your badge awards to other network members
- Let you know about other products and services we think you might like.
To prevent robots submitting messages via the website contact form, or creating artificial membership accounts, these forms are protected by reCAPTCHA technology operated by Google. A link to their privacy and terms appears via a small icon that appears on those pages affected.
How do we store your data?
HEdzUp.net securely stores your data at our web hosting company who operate industry standard security measures to protect your data.
HEdzUp.net will keep your data until 2 years after you cancel your account or stop using our services. Once this time period has expired, we will delete your data by removing it from our database and securely shredding any paper records.
HEdzUp.net would like to send you information about products and services of ours that we think you might like.
If you have agreed to receive marketing, you may always opt out later.
You have the right at any time to stop HEdzUp.net from contacting you for marketing purposes.
If you no longer wish to be contacted for marketing purposes, please send us details via the contact form on our home page.
What are your data protection rights?
HEdzUp.net would like to make sure you are fully aware of all your data protection rights. Every user is entitled to the following:
- The right to access – You have the right to request HEdzUp.net for copies of your personal data. We may charge you a small fee for this service.
- The right to rectification – You have the right to request that HEdzUp.net correct any information you believe is inaccurate. You also have the right to request HEdzUp.net to complete the information you believe is incomplete.
- The right to erasure – You have the right to request that HEdzUp.net erase your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to restrict processing – You have the right to request that HEdzUp.net restrict the processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to object to processing – You have the right to object to HEdzUp.net's processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to data portability – You have the right to request that HEdzUp.net transfer the data that we have collected to another organization, or directly to you, under certain conditions.
If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact our Data Protection Officer, Leigh Cook:
- by email: use the contact form on our home page
What are cookies?
Cookies are text files placed on your computer to collect standard Internet log information and visitor behaviour information. When you visit our websites, we may collect information from you automatically through cookies or similar technology.
For further information, visit allaboutcookies.org.
- Keeping you signed in
- Understanding how you use our website
What types of cookies do we use?
There are several different types of cookies, however, our website uses:
- Functionality – HEdzUp.net uses these cookies so that we recognize you on our website and remember your previously selected preferences. These could include what language you prefer and location you are in. A mix of first-party and third-party cookies are used.
- Advertising – HEdzUp.net uses these cookies to collect information about your visit to our website, the content you viewed, the links you followed and information about your browser, device, and your IP address. HEdzUp.net sometimes shares some limited aspects of this data with third parties for advertising purposes. We may also share online data collected through cookies with our advertising partners. This means that when you visit another website, you may be shown advertising based on your browsing patterns on our website.
How to manage your cookies
You can set your browser not to accept cookies, and the above website tells you how to remove cookies from your browser. However, in a few cases, some of our website features may not function as a result.
Privacy policies of other websites
How to contact us
- by email: use the contact form on our home page
Should you wish to report a complaint or if you feel that HEdzUp.net has not addressed your concern in a satisfactory manner, you may contact the Information Commissioner’s Office: